Thursday, April 20, 2017

Pretty In Pink (pic)

-
This is the dogwood tree in our front yard. It's somewhere between 8 and 10 feet tall and has probably been there 10 years or so. The ground there is pretty much like concrete, from being compacted by logging machinery back in the 70's. Still, I've put a little lime and fertilizer around it in years past, and put some night water around it after it dropped it's leaves last fall. I think this is the fullest it's ever been. My wife is very pleased with it and I thought a few of my readers might enjoy seeing it.

Click images to enlarge.

Incidentally, if you think night water has no value, please note the row of dark green grass in the following photo. The ground is hard and poor there. but I put a gallon of night water about every two feet, in a row about 40 feet long. You can't judge the length from the angle of the photo, but you can see the effect.


-

7 comments:

Terry said...

Beautiful tree. We love dogwoods.

Vicki said...

Your tree is beautiful.
I always watered my garden at night and I know it made a difference.

Gorges Smythe said...

Thanks, Terry, so do we.

lol - Vicki, I suspect you aren't aware what I mean by "night water."

deborah harvey said...

that tree is very full for a dogwood. beautiful.

Lady Locust said...

The tree looks great. The pink is so vibrant. I love the story of the dogwood also.

Sunnybrook Farm said...

I finally opened my eyes after you last mentioned dogwoods and sure enough they were blooming here as well. Most of ours are wild but I think there is one pink one and the other odd one that will come out at the end of May for some reason. We sell strange ones at work and they rare sitting there with other trees so I tell people that you can tell a dogwood by it's bark and few get the joke as most reply 'really' like it some new piece of valuable information. I think that was a joke that I heard on the Woodwright several decades ago, at least he and I thought it was funny.

Gorges Smythe said...

I told you what did it, dh; now you know what to do for yours! - lol

Yeah, SF, the wild ones are supposed to be white. I suppose someone found a pinkish one years ago and started planting seed and hand pollinating them until they got all the different shades they have today.