Tuesday, April 18, 2017

The Age Of Adjustments

-
That’s the age my wife and I are now, since we have to make adjustments because we can’t do things the way we used to. I use a cane, not because I constantly need it, but because I never know when I will. I may encounter steps to climb, or uneven ground, or my ankle, heel or hip may start giving way (which they do on occasion). My wife NEEDS to use a cane, but is both too stubborn and too proud. Her day may be coming, though.

We both are uneasy on the stairs anymore. Sometimes, we go up them on all fours, like an old bear or a little kid. We currently have no stair railing; I can see that needs to change. Even with a cane, I often lean against the porch post when stepping up, so I can swing my left leg to the side to get it up, rather than depending solely on strength to step up. Both my wife and I have fallen a time or two while stepping up on the porch by having trouble raising our legs high enough, while carrying bags and such.

She fell again today, luckily, not as hard as the last time. I need to mount an old handle from a concrete finisher’s float that I found onto the porch post, so we’ll have something to grab hold of as we step up. Sometime in the next couple weeks, I may try to put a short ramp and a handrail there. Both she and the pooch would benefit. There’s a step from the porch into the house, too, but no room for a ramp. My wife has fallen a couple times there, also. I have another old float if I can find it, but I could also use a big metal handle like you can buy from the hardware store to put on outbuilding doors.

It’s no fun getting old and less mobile. My wife’s problem is probably just age, as she’s several years my senior. My troubles began with bursitis in both hips and worsened after my heart episode about 1-1/2 years ago. For whatever the reasons, we ARE having to learn to adjust, BUT, we can do that; it sure beats giving up.

P.S. – If you know my wife, don’t mention her falling, as she would give me the devil for telling you. That would p_ss me off and I’d then have to beat you about the head and shoulders with my cane. Old people get CRANKY too, you know! © 2017
-

11 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

Remember the old codgers when we were young, those guys were born back in the 1800s, I guess kids now will be saying how we were born back in the 1950s like it was ancient times. Just part of ageing, my mother is 93 and won't use her cane in public.

RGRANT said...

The pain is why old people get cranky.

Glen Filthie said...

What cane? I didn't see no cane...? ;)

And just so everyone knows, I flat out REFUSE to legally recognize walkers either. You get a 6th sense about such things - there's a time to jump in and help the seniors out, and a time to let them do for themselves. I have seen epic battles fought and won from walkers.

Get that ramp up Gorges. Ya never know when Filthie will stop by - he doesn't handle stairs well either, even when he's sober.

Ralph Goff said...

I'm reminded of that saying, "Getting old ain't for sissies". It takes a lot of strength and determination to keep going when the going gets tough.

Gorges Smythe said...

I liked the guys of THAT generation a lot better than most of my own, SF.

Sounds like a good story, RGRANT; I think I'll go with it! ;-)

Glen, if you ain't sober, you won't even FIND my place! - lol

Yeah, Ralph, sometimes I almost envy those guys who sit around and drink themselves into an early grave, but I don't drink. Guess I'll just have to "endeavor to persevere."

deborah harvey said...

hi, gg,
i think the walker is more stable than the cane, and i prefer it.
keep a cane in the car in case i get wobbly, though.
i saw a lady with a rollator and i loved it.
it would be useful in the kitchen, too, when working.
they had them at aldi's for 60$$ but i did not have 60$$ 'to spare'.
who has $$ to spare?
if you find an aldi's near you go to it.
look online at their weekly flyer.
you will be pleased by the prices.
they don't take checks so i stop at the bank and get cash for a trip there.
daughter says their hummus is good.
you said to pray for your 'cousin'.
i have been. how is he doing?
do you read 'garyinbamablogspot'?
he has not checked in lately. he is having AN ARGUMENT WITH CANCER. AM PRAYING FOR HIM ALSO BUT WORRYING THAT THERE IS NO WORD FROM HIM.

sorry about caps. the cap lock is too close to the letter keys.
a blessed Pascha to you both.

deb h.

Pumice said...

I think half the battle is paying attention. I have gone down hard a few times in the last few years. Each time it was because I was so confident that I wasn't watching. The steps at my kids house were so narrow that I had to go down sideways. Getting cocky never worked.

Stay safe.

Grace and peace.

Scooney Adrift said...

Yep, it's all about making those necessary adjustments. My heart meds make me dizzy at times, just a little wobbly. I'm sure the folks at WallyWorld, just think I have been hitting the bottle when this happens!!! Oh, the joy of old age!

Gorges Smythe said...

Well, dh, my wife's walker has four wheels, brakes and a seat, is that what you call a rollator? I call it her "chariot," and she uses it more for the seat than as a walker, mostly when she cooks.

You're probably right, Pumice.

Yeah, Scooney, it's sure a lot of fun and games. Glad you stopped by; I hadn't heard from you for a while.

deborah harvey said...

yes, gg.
that is a rollator.
a regular walker would be good for her for shopping. some come with a fold down seat, i think.

Gorges Smythe said...

They have riders at Walmart and Kroger's here, dh, so we use them whenever we can.